I’m a Scientist connects students with real scientists online.
In the activity, students:
- Read profiles of experts working on fields related to this year’s CHRISTMAS LECTURES, Planet Earth: A User’s Guide.
- Ask their own questions to the experts about everything and anything
- Chat with the experts during a 40-minute, text-based live chat session
For students of all abilities
The activity is pupil-led (students ask the questions they want to) so different age groups, ability levels, and backgrounds all get something out of it.
- Suitable for Year 5/P6 to Year 13/S6
- Primary and secondary
- Special schools, pupil referral units, and other non-mainstream educational settings
Perfect for home learning
Everything happens online.
Students can take part from home while schools are closed – all they need is internet access.
No personal details are shared on the site. Only students given access by their teacher can log in. Teachers can also moderate the Chat.
All interaction is through text – there is no video or audio used – and we moderate all content.
Fits into your timetable
I’m a Scientist is a flexible online activity, running from 11 January to 5 February 2021.
Book live chats for the dates and time that suits you. Students can log in at any point to read profiles and ask questions.
We suggest spending 2 hours on the activity – one preparation lesson, one homework and one live chat session. This can be adapted for your timetable.
Free for UK state-maintained schools
Thanks to the Royal Institution and their funders, this activity is free for UK state-maintained schools and colleges.
Find out more:
If you have any questions at all, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.